Fact Sheet – Health and Safety
(Based on Richmond School District Recommendations) WMA will continue to place the highest priority on the health and safety of our students, their families and our staff and contractors. All decisions within the school will be made with the intent of doing everything possible to adhere to the health and safety guidelines developed by the provincial health officer.
• The World of Music and Arts return to school plan has been developed to meet the expectations of the provincial health and safety guidelines.
• The World of Music and Arts will be operating in Stage 2 of the government’s 5 Stage Framework for K-12 Education.
• All staff and students will receive a health and safety orientation at the start of the school year to ensure they understand and are able to practice the necessary guidelines of physical distancing, hygiene, mask wearing, working within and across cohort groups.
• Students, with the support of their families, will be required to do a daily health check prior to coming to school. Students and staff who identify symptoms of illness will need to stay home until assessed by a health-care provider AND symptoms have been resolved.
• If teacher and/or student displays Covid-19 symptoms at any point during their lessons, they will be instructed to go straight home. Any surfaces that the ill student/teacher has come into contact with will be disinfected.
• Frequently touched surfaces will be cleaned at least twice every 24 hours and general school cleaning will happen once a day.
• Teachers will sanitize the instrument after each student.
• Teachers are not permitted to touch the students.
Masks and Face-Cover
• Every staff member is required to wear a mask or a face-cover when they enter the school.
• Any student may choose to wear a mask at any time.
• All staff and secondary students will be required to wear a mask or a face-cover while in high traffic areas such as the hallway.
• Students are asked to wash their hands at home and use personal hand sanitizer before entering the WMA school.
• Please note limited use of the bathroom (only for admin, staff and long-distance travel students)
• Frequent reminders about respiratory etiquette and limiting physical contact will be shared with students and incorporated into ongoing learning.
• Food and beverages are not to be shared.
• Physical distancing will be promoted and practiced at WMA. However, according to the provincial health and safety guidelines, people in a learning group do not need to stay two meters apart at all times, but they must limit physical contact.
• Students should enter the school from the front entrance and go directly to the teacher’s studio.
• Students will not be permitted to wait in the lobby (siblings and parents can wait outside in the car, inside of the classroom or go for a walk).
• Students must leave immediately after the lesson from the back entrance.
• Traffic flow in common spaces will be managed with directional signs.