The 1st International Mark Rothko competition of Young performers of Modern Music is organized by Daugavpils Secondary School No.13 in cooperation with Mark Rothko art center, Daugavpils City Culture Department, the Educational Department of Daugavpils, Daugavpils University Faculty of Music and Arts and the association “Mentors”. The purpose of the competition: to contribute to the development of musical skills of young musicians, as well as to honor the world-famous artist Mark Rothko who was born in Daugavpils. The competition will be held on March 26-27, 2021 and it is open for participation to all young musicians under the age of 19 years. The competition will take place both onsite or one can participate with video recordings.
The requirements of the competition
All participants are divided into the following categories:
- A Category – string instruments (Violin, Alto, Cello, Contrabass, Kokle, Guitar and others);
- B Category – wind and percussion instruments;
- C Category – piano (also piano duo four-handed on one instrument);
- D Category – accordion.
All participants perform a program consisting of 1-3 compositions according to their choice by heart. Compositions should be composed not earlier than in 1970.
Participants are divided according to the age groups:
- groups A1 and C1- participants born in 2011-2014, the performance time from 2 to 3 minutes;
- groups A2, B2, C2, D2 – participants born in 2009- 2010, the performance time 2-4 minutes;
- groups A3, B3, C3, D3 – participants born in 2007- 2008, the performance time 3-5 minutes;
- groups A4, B4, C4, D4 – participants born in 2005- 2006, the performance time 3-6 minutes;
- groups A5, B5, C5, D5 – participants born in 2002- 2004, the performance time 4-7 minutes.
The jury evaluates the performance of the contestants using a 25-point scale. Evaluation criteria: the complexity of the repertoire, quality of the technical side of the performance, stylistic relevance and accuracy of the text, clarity, and variety of musical images, performance culture.
Contestants are awarded according to the points received:
- The Diploma for participation in the competition – up to 15.99 points;
- The Diploma of Honour – from 16 to 17.99 points;
- The Diploma of the 3rd degree – from 18 to 19.99 points;
- The Diploma of the 2nd degree – from 20 to 21.99 points;
- The 1st degree diploma – from 22 to 25 points.
Each group winners receives the Diploma of the Winner and the Prize of the Winner of the competition. Participants also get special prizes.
All the expenses related to the participation in the competition (including traveling, catering, and accommodation) should be paid by the participants themselves. The organizers of the competition have the right to audio and video recordings, as well as photography.
All of the contest participants must send the following documents to the e-mail email@example.com before January 15, 2021: (WMA students should register before Feb.1st)
- a short creative biography of the participant;
- a photo of the participant;
- an Application form of the participant;
Competition participants who participate remotely should send an Internet link of their recording to the organizers till March 20, 2021 (but Application till January 15, 2021, Feb 1st for WMA students). One cannot send recordings from other competitions, the recording must be of good audio and video quality.
Awarding of the contestants will be held on the day of the competition
The participation fee: $35 CAD, the participation fee is non-refundable.
Payment details: Contact WMA (778-297-5505) to pay online or in person, we accept all methods of payment.
Project coordinator: Dr. paed. Jevgeņijs Ustinskovs, +371 29538278 (Viber, WhatsApp, Telegram), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
North American Contact: World of Music and Arts 778-297-5505 (phone), email@example.com (email)
Request an Application form